8 cups chopped watermelon (about 3 lb.)
1 cup half-and-half
3⁄4 cup sugar
Garnish: mint sprigs
1. Process watermelon in a blender until pureed, stopping to scrape down
sides as needed. Transfer 41⁄2 cups puree to a large bowl. Reserve any
remaining watermelon puree for another use. (Or grab a straw for a cook’s
treat.) Whisk in half-and-half and sugar.
2. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 11⁄2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze 4 to 5 hours. Let stand at room temperature 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Makes: 11⁄2 qt.
Hands-on Time: 20 min. Total Time: 5 hr.
Note: The total time for this recipe may vary, depending on your ice-cream maker.
Raspberry-Lime Frozen Pops
1⁄2 cup sugar
6 cups fresh raspberries
1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
Garnish: fresh raspberries
1. Heat sugar and 1⁄2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat until
sugar dissolves (about 3 minutes). Cool slightly (about 5 minutes).
2. Puree sugar syrup, raspberries, and next 2 ingredients in a blender until
smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
3. Pour mixture into 10 (4-oz.) plastic pop molds (about 1⁄3 cup mixture in
each). Top with lids of pop molds, and insert craft sticks, leaving 11⁄2 to 2
inches of each sticking out. Freeze 6 hours or until sticks are solidly anchored
and pops are completely frozen. Garnish, if desired.
Makes: 10 servings
Hands-on Time: 10 min. Total Time: 6 hr., 10 min.
Slicing a watermelon with ease
I'm always amazed at tools that make things in the kitchen much easier than before. The Grommet recently sent me i Genietti Watermelon Slicer and Server to try. I've been a believer that slicing watermelon is best done outside since juice tends to run in every direction possible. I can now slice and serve watermelon in the luxury of air conditioning!
Recipes and recipe photo from Around the Southern Table by Rebecca Lang (c) 2012 Oxmoor House and Rebecca Lang Cooks, LLC.