Monday, April 27, 2009

Getting The Garden Ready

It’s that time again. The weather is warm, the pollen is swirling in the wind and the garden is calling for some attention. I spent the weekend planting my herbs and getting my tomatoes in the ground. Planting your own herbs is not only fun, it's smart. One package of herbs at the grocery store costs the same as one plant. Save money and grow your own.
We are growing only heirloom tomatoes this year. I can already taste the sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise. I bought two plants called “Mortgage Lifter” that produce a tomato so large that one slice makes a sandwich. It’s looking like a delicious summer already!
Before planting, I had the soil in the garden tested by The University of Georgia’s Cooperative Extension Service. I received a graph of the nutrient levels in my soil. Thanks to the organic matter we added last year, my garden needs almost nothing. The test costs a few dollars and very simple. Remember that good soil makes a good gardener.
Click here to find your local extension service.

No comments: