Sunday, November 20, 2011

Giving Thanks over Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie


Each and every one of us is blessed in some way. My sweet dad says a blessing at the table that includes, “Thank you for these and all our many blessings.” It’s a sentence I try to remember each time I sit down to eat.
Looking back on the year is bittersweet. It's been a busy time of excitement but also a tough year for us. We lost a family member this summer and needless to say, it's been a very long road. This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for every single day I have with those that I love. We are so blessed and I will be thankful for that every chance I get.
Take a moment to make a list of 10 things that make you thankful. I made my list and it's now on my refrigerator door.

1. My children are healthy and happy.
2. I have a husband I admire and love.
3. Mama's help that allows me to do what I do and my morning phone calls with my dad.
4. My home is comfortable.
5. I have a strong, good-to-the-core family.
6. I adore my job.
7. My church and all the people that work to make it such a blessing to so many.
8. My friends are so very supportive and caring.
9. I will always have my memories of those no longer with us.
10. Our table is always filled with food. This Thanksgiving, it includes my irresistible Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie.


Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 Tbsp. ice water
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbsp. bourbon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups pecan halves

1. Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles the size of peas. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape dough into a ball; cover and chill 45 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 450˚. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; trim off excess pastry along edges. Fold edges under, and crimp. Line pastry with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake pastry 3 more minutes. Remove pastry crust to a wire rack to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350˚.
3. Melt butter and chocolate over low heat in a large saucepan. Remove from heat. Whisk in eggs and next 5 ingredients. Stir in pecans.
4. Bake pie at 350˚ for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set and slightly puffed. Cool completely before serving.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I love this post. Listing out what we're grateful for is such a wonderful idea, and keeping it in a place where it will be seen frequently is a great reminder so that we don't lose sight of those things. I'm so sorry that it's been such a difficult year for you and your family. I hope that you all have a good Thanksgiving, filled with happy memories. Thank you for sharing both your list and this fabulous recipe.